Tuesday 30 July 2013

OpenFlow in the Optical Domain

There's a lot of noise about using OpenFlow in the optical domain. For example Carrier SDN – The ONF’s View.

I'm not 100% convinced about the merits of OpenFlow in the optical space.

Here's a video where Sten Nordell, Transmode's CTO, is talking about SDN in the optical space.


I think he does a reasonable job of weighing up the options and getting back to basics.

I guess the reason I am at least posing the question why OpenFlow might not work in the optical space is:

1/ There are already intelligent networking protocols for optical networks eg G.ASON. I worked for Sycamore that pioneered this and standardised it yet few optical networking companies embraced it for "optical dial-tone".  If historically optical companies didn't embrace it, what is different this time round?

2/ Optical pipes are pipes. There is not an in-band signalling channel anyway and it doesnt naturally lend it self to "MAC inspection".

I'm open to a debate on this at least on the transport side. For the optical switching layer, particularly within data centres, I can see how OpenFlow & SDN concepts can work.

No comments:

Post a Comment